[cups.development] How to automatic to select driver when add printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 27 09:09:40 PDT 2009

You'll need a matching PPD, usually using Product or 1284DeviceID
strings. Your backend then generates a listing that includes this
information in the make-and-model and 1284-device-id fields ("man
backend") which is used to match the corresponding strings in the PPD
that you've installed in a common location (such as /usr/share/cups/
model).