[cups.general] Really crazy problem with cups and samba

Christian Andretzky Christian.Andretzky at MB.TU-Chemnitz.DE
Mon May 4 10:15:04 PDT 2009

Hi,
I'm in progress to set up a department print server using cups 1.3.8 on Debian
Lenny. One of the configured printers is a canon ix4000 which works with no
problems using the canon ix5000 driver.

All the above is true in a clean Linux environment. But (unfortunately/of
course) Windows printing is also to handle. The windows setup includes samba
3.2.5 on Debian Lenny and the windows printer drivers are the last windows
postscript printer driver and version 6.0 of the cups-windows driver.

All this seem to work OK, I can print with no problems from windows to all in
cups available printers with one big exception. Jobs to the above described
canon printer are vanished to nirvana or some equivalent. No error message, no
hint in the log files, nothing. Switching to the cups debug mode debug2 says
the job is correctly sent to the printer and accepted. But no printout.

I stopped the printer and checked the job file - no unusual content, as far as
I could say.

I know the well known problem with a <ctrl>D character in the job. The printer
driver is configured to send a <ctrl>D only after the job, not before.

I've also tried to move the stopped job to another printer - the job is printed
as expected. In addition to this I've also tried the reverse direction - to
move a job from another stopped printer to the canon printer. Exactly the same
thing happens: the canon does not print.

I'm really helpless. Any Ideas?

TIA for Your help

Christian
--
Name:  Christian Andretzky  | Address: TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer          |
Phone: ++49 +371 531 32130  |          Elektrotechnik/Informationstechnik   |