[cups.general] Xerox Phaser 6130n Detected & Installed Perfectly in 8.10 Intrepid, and will detect but not install in 9.04 Jaunty via System/Admin/Printing/CUPS gui.

Jack Whitley jack.whitley at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:27:17 PDT 2009

Hello Helge,

I appreciate very much your response.  I tried to follow your directions,
but the problem still persists.

The results are below, lettered for reference, along with some diagnostic
information I was able to pull out of the CUPS GUI troubleshooting wizard -

1)  In Ubuntu 9.04, there is no path /usr/share/cups/model , but there is a
path /usr/share/cups/drivers , so I copied the xerox 6130n .ppd there.

2) I then ran the GUI via System/Admin/Printing and the "Printer
Configuration - Local Host" dialog launched (this Xerox 6130n printer offers
two connection options, local via USB or networked, I use local USB, and
this ran perfectly in Ubuntu 8.10)

3)  From there, the following same behavior occured

a) the "Xerox 6130n printer connected via USB" is recognized immediately
b) the "Search For Drivers" bar runs with no apparent issue (but doesn't
offer the opportunity to prospect a driver file)
c) the next dialog box appears with printer names and location, no problem
d) when then click "Apply", I get the error message "CUPS server error --
There was an error during the CUPS operation:
'server-error-internal-error'."

I also ran new May 4, 2009 updates for CUPS in Ubuntu 9.04 and tried again,
that did not help.

I then ran the troubleshooting wizard and was able to copy the following
output information.  It sees and properly names the printer, but will not
install it due to the error message in "d" above.

Page 1 (Scheduler not running?):
{'cups_connection_failure': False}
Page 2 (Choose printer):
{'cups_dests_available': [], 'cups_queue_listed': False}
Page 3 (Local or remote?):
{'printer_is_remote': False}
Page 4 (Choose device):
{'cups_device_attributes': {'device-class': u'direct',
                            'device-id': u'MFG:Xerox;CMD:Adobe PostScript 3,
PCL;MDL:Phaser 6130N;DES:Xerox Phaser 6130 Color Laser Printer, PostScript
3, Letter/A4
Size;CLS:PRINTER;STS:AAAMBAD/AP8AAAAAAAQAA2QDZAMoA1ADZAMAA2QDQBoAAAAAsIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAIQYAEAAAAAAQ',
                            'device-info': u'Xerox Phaser 6130N USB #1',
                            'device-make-and-model': u'Xerox Phaser 6130N'},
 'cups_device_listed': True,
 'cups_device_uri': 'usb://Xerox/Phaser%206130N'}
Page 5 (Locale issues):
{'printer_page_size': None,
 'system_locale_lang': None,
 'user_locale_ctype': 'en_US',
 'user_locale_messages': 'en_US'}

I'm in over my head technically, but am trying to be tenacious.  The
challenge is the Xerox 6130n printer is never making it to an installed
state, which doesn't help troubleshooting.  If anyone could offer help or
pointers to the correct place to get help, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,

jackson