Early experience with CUPS 1.3.10

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue May 5 02:46:39 PDT 2009

Mike (Sweet), my site is now using 1.3.10 as server and for clients. Generally it seems fine, but we are still seeing frequent:

Bad request line "^W^C^A" from a.b.c.d!

messages in the error log, where a.b.c.d is by turn the IP address of each accessing client.

Also, we were troubled every two or three weeks in 1.3.9 and before (I can't remember how far back) apparently by a memory leak that caused the memory capacity of our just-big-enough server virtual machine to be exhausted every 2-3 weeks. It'll be at least that length of time before we know for sure whether this problem persists, though I'll monitor the size of cupsd to see if it grows - though growth was previously so gradual it wasn't dramatic.

John A. Murdie