[cups.general] Xerox Phaser 6130n Detected & Installed Perfectly in 8.10 Intrepid, and will detect but not install in 9.04 Jaunty via System/Admin/Printing/CUPS gui.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue May 5 05:21:14 PDT 2009

Hallo Jack,

obviously Ubuntu 9.x installs a hacked version of CUPS which uses
nonstandard (in the sense of CUPS) locations for looking for PPDs.
I suspect the Ubuntu distrib supplies a printer setup and management
application of its own, and it may be that CPS' own setup workflow
is therefore broken.
The /usr/share/cups/drivers directory is dedicated to collaboration with
SAMBA  - it is managed by cupsaddsmb and contains the stuff Windoze
needs for the SAMBA supported "point and click" printer installation.

I guess you need to ask the Ubuntu folks for help here.

Helge

PS. The Linux distribs I know better are SuSE 8.2 and SuSE 11.1.

Jack Whitley wrote:

> Hello Helge,
>
> I appreciate very much your response.  I tried to follow your directions,
> but the problem still persists.
>
> The results are below, lettered for reference, along with some diagnostic
> information I was able to pull out of the CUPS GUI troubleshooting wizard
> -
>
> 1)  In Ubuntu 9.04, there is no path /usr/share/cups/model , but there is
> a path /usr/share/cups/drivers , so I copied the xerox 6130n .ppd there.
>
> 2) I then ran the GUI via System/Admin/Printing and the "Printer
> Configuration - Local Host" dialog launched (this Xerox 6130n printer
> offers two connection options, local via USB or networked, I use local
> USB, and this ran perfectly in Ubuntu 8.10)
>
> 3)  From there, the following same behavior occured
>
> a) the "Xerox 6130n printer connected via USB" is recognized immediately
> b) the "Search For Drivers" bar runs with no apparent issue (but doesn't
> offer the opportunity to prospect a driver file)
> c) the next dialog box appears with printer names and location, no problem
> d) when then click "Apply", I get the error message "CUPS server error --
> There was an error during the CUPS operation:
> 'server-error-internal-error'."
>
> I also ran new May 4, 2009 updates for CUPS in Ubuntu 9.04 and tried
> again, that did not help.
>
> I then ran the troubleshooting wizard and was able to copy the following
> output information.  It sees and properly names the printer, but will not
> install it due to the error message in "d" above.

> Page 1 (Scheduler not running?):
> {'cups_connection_failure': False}
> Page 2 (Choose printer):
> {'cups_dests_available': [], 'cups_queue_listed': False}
> Page 3 (Local or remote?):
> {'printer_is_remote': False}
> Page 4 (Choose device):
> {'cups_device_attributes': {'device-class': u'direct',
>                             'device-id': u'MFG:Xerox;CMD:Adobe PostScript
>                             3,
> PCL;MDL:Phaser 6130N;DES:Xerox Phaser 6130 Color Laser Printer, PostScript
> 3, Letter/A4

Size;CLS:PRINTER;STS:AAAMBAD/AP8AAAAAAAQAA2QDZAMoA1ADZAMAA2QDQBoAAAAAsIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAIQYAEAAAAAAQ',