[cups.general] Cups 1.3.7-8, service to clients

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Thu May 7 13:18:50 PDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Margaret Doll wrote:

> On May 7, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 08:44 -0400, Margaret Doll wrote:
>>> With these settings, the client RedHat system is still getting the
>>> message that
>>>
>>> 	Network host 'name' is busy, down, or unreachable; will retry in 30
>>> seconds.
>>
>> I think this message (thank you very much for quoting it exactly!)
>> comes
>> from the lpd backend -- are you using 'lpd://'-style URIs on the
>> client?
>
> I am using lpd on the client.    I originally set the server lpd, but
> I have
> changed that to ipp.  The printer on which I am testing the connection
> is a HP Laserjet 9000
>>
>> If so, please check that the 'cups-lpd' service is enabled:
>
> I did have cups-lpd disabled.  I changed the configuration in
> /etc/xinetd.d/cups-lpd  and then restarted xinetd.
>>

>> # chkconfig --list cups-lpd
>> cups-lpd       	on
>>
>> and that xinetd, the "super-server" used by cups-lpd, is enabled for
>> your runlevel, and running:
>>

> The next two commands match the status on the client.
>> # chkconfig --list xinetd
>> xinetd         	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off
>>
>> # service xinetd status
>> xinetd (pid  4971) is running...
>
> I am still getting the host is busy message  after the change to cups-
> lpd.
>>

>> I understand that things were working before the update so once we've
>> worked out what the problem currently is the next thing is to find
>> out
>> what caused it.
>>
>>> On the server, I get the following errors at boot time:
>>>
>>> May  5 16:10:14 geops2 cupsd[11379]: *** WARNING *** The programme
>>> 'cupsd' uses the
>>> Apple Bonjour compatiblity layer of Avahi.
>>> May  5 16:10:14 geops2 cupsd[11379]: *** WARNING *** Please fix your
>>> application to
>>> use the native API of Avahi!
>>> May  5 16:10:14 geops2 cupsd[11379]: *** WARNING *** For more
>>> information see <http
>>> ://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=cupsd>
>>
>> This is harmless.

I noticed that when I try to add an ipp printer from a second RedHat
client,
printtool assumes that the Path:  to use is /printers/queue1.

Networked CUPS (IPP)
Server:                    Path:  /printers/queue1

My RedHat server has no /printers directory.

Is this a problem?  What should be used for the path on the client?