[cups.general] CUPS "printer grouping" question with 180 Lexmarks, different locations

Thomas Stocker thomas.stocker at acceleris.ch
Fri May 8 00:43:57 PDT 2009

Hi List

I have the following problem:

We need to manage 180 Lexmark printers with CUPS. Main problem: All
printers are in one dropdown list, which is way too long. So we're
looking for a solution to manage them in a usable manner. We have 4
locations, with mupltiple buildings and with multiple floors. OS is
Opensolaris, Sunray desktop is Gnome from OSOL.

Main goal is to provide a short list with nearest printers. This will be
done by "SunRay Followme printing". Problem with that: We need
additional printers in the list (ie secretery ones, color printer from a
different floor)

We've got the following possibilities:

x Multiple, hierarchical CUPS servers
x A GUI from which users may klick together a printing profile for
themselves, with the needed printers.

My question to the list: How this is done? The CUPS groups feature
doesn't help in this case. Does anyone has experience with this?

Every input on this question is greatly appreciated.

Tom

--
Acceleris GmbH      |  and IT works
Thomas Stocker      |  Techincal Consultant
thomas.stocker at xxx.ch
Acceleris Offices are in:
Basel  |  Bukarest  |  Zollikofen  |  Renens  |  Zurich-Kloten