Xerox Phaser will not print ext3 error

russbucket russbucket at nwi.net
Sat May 9 16:45:44 PDT 2009

russbucket wrote:

> Cups 1.3.9
> see signature for rest of configuration.
>
> I deleted my old Cups printer and went to recreate it. It was working fine
> yesterday. I had an ext3 error which YaST was able to repair. I get to the
> step where it asks for Device for Printer: On old version (1.3.7), it had
> a choice for the usb device. This is apparently gone in version 1.3.9 or
> at least in my version. I've tryed options from each type available and
> after it creates the printer it says device does not exist or
> nonrecoverable error. The printer prints the test page and configuration
> page from its local menu, But the test page from cups hanging in the
> processing mode. I've changed my usb cable and rebooted the printer.
>
> How do i set up the printer for the usb cable. It is only locally attached
> and not shared.?
>
> Any help would be appreciated as this is the only working printer I have.
>
> Thanks in advance. If more info is need please ask
roblem solved. after reading several bug reports about avahi. I went into
YaST and Software Management --> avahi and installed all rpms that said
avahi. Then went into cups. did add printer and this time the printer
showed. It then printed test page and I printed a document that would not
print again.

Not sure which rpm actually fixed it, must have been a file that the ext3
error corrupted and even though the repair function on the DVD said they
were successfully repaired, something must have remained bad.

--
Russ
openSUSE 11.1 (2.6.27.21-0.1-default [x86_64) KDE 4.2 release 106, Intel