[cups.general] CUPS "printer grouping" question with 180 Lexmarks, different locations

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Sun May 10 15:27:57 PDT 2009

Hi,

You may want to have a look at PrinterSetup : http://www.lucidsystems.org/printingworks/printersetup

PrinterSetup is a tool which is designed to make this kind of CUPS
queue management easier.

PrinterSetup has some neat fatures such as dynamic queue updates based
upon which airport base station your machine is connected. These more
advanced features are currently only supported on Mac OS X. However,
the project is licensed under the GNU GPL and as such, if you need a
more advanced feature you are encouraged to add support for other
operating systems.

This site which is using PrinterSetup has about 100 printers and
probably about 250 various cups queues on servers which are managed
with PrinterSetup. In addition, all the client queues are also managed
with PrinterSetup.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer : I am a developer on the PrinterSetup project.