1.3.10 interface buttons and "::1" problem

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed May 13 07:26:47 PDT 2009

There are a couple of "::1"-related bug reports against 1.3.10:

3169	HIGH	Unresolved	ALL	"::1" not acceptable for Host: value from localhost
3162	MOD	Unresolved	ALL	IPv6 loopback address (::1) considered a bad host.

One problem we see - which I am not entirely sure is completely the result of one of the problems reported above - is that the printer-related buttons of the web interface ('Stop printer', 'Reject jobs' etc.) are now associated with '::1'-containing URLs, e.g. 'https://::1/admin/?op=stop-printer&printer_name=lab-printer'. When I press one (I'm a CUPS administrator), I see the error message dialogue:

Port Restricted for Security Reasons
Access to the port number given has been disabled for security reasons.
The requested address specified a port (e.g. "mozilla.org:80" for port 80 on mozilla.org) normally used for
 purposes other than Web browsing. The browser has cancelled the request for your protection and security.
[Try Again]

This comes hard on the heels of a bug in 1.3.9 which caused the buttons similarly to be inoperable, although the cause and message was different:

STR #3022: Invalid server URI in printer/classes pages in the web interface (closed)

Is there an easy solution to the '::1'-containing URL problem, apart from hand-correcting it each time?

John A. Murdie