[cups.general] Restricting use of a colour printer to black-and-white

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Wed May 13 17:06:05 PDT 2009

There may also be other ways to alter the PPD to make it black and
white only. I am not a post script master but I have seen some of
these people at work.

Having two queues available to the clients is a good idea. It is very
simple protection.

If the users have administration control over their machines or are
able to add print queues and you require greater security then
PrintAgent : http://www.lucidsystems.org/pringingworks/printagent is
able to authenticate specific users to a CUPS queue. PrintAgent is
also able to interface with various directory systems for password
credentials so that people will be granted or denied access based upon
group membership for instance.

This kind of approach allows both queues to be installed on a single
machine but will only allow someone who is allowed to print to print
to the color queue.

Finally if the clients are *NIX based then, PrinterSetup is able to
dynamically alter the queues based upon the user who is logging onto
the system. So if a user is a certain group then they will have both
color and black and white queues available in the print dialog box.
Details on PrinterSetup is available from : http://www.lucidsystems.org/printingworks/printagent/

I hope this helps.