Restricting use of a colour printer toblack-and-white

Brett Ussher breusshe at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 17:58:49 PDT 2009

I just recently did this.  I took a color PPD file and looked through it for awhile.  How I figured out what was a color printer setting and what was black and white was by looking at how the driver option settings appeared in the CUPS admin.  In the settings you can set a printer to print just black and white, of course, but I wanted it to be the only option.  By looking at all the other color option names and searching for them in the PPD I was able to successfully delete all of the color settings and leave only the black and white with composite black (grayscale) and then set those options to the default setting for the driver.

The key is to keep an original copy of the PPD so that if you mess in editing it, you're not out of luck.  But, all in all, it only took me about 30 minutes to figure out what to delete from the file and I've never opened a PPD before.

Brett