Replacing an HP-UX 11.0 Print Server with a Linux CUPS server

calvin coker ccoker at csc.com
Tue May 19 15:36:13 PDT 2009

I am examining the possibility of replacing a HP-UX print server with a Linux CUPS print server.  We have Solaris 8, 9,10, Linux and HP-UX 11.0 clients in the environment.  I am curious to know the best way to set up the clients such that they rely on the Linux CUPS print server.  I have reviewed using cups-lpd, but think that I might have to continuously update the clients printer references.  This led me to look for clients for the different platform types.  Does anyone have any suggestions?