slow printing of pdf-files and pictures

wrdaniel wrdaniel at web.de
Thu May 21 14:43:20 PDT 2009

hello,

I'm using a Kyocera FS-3800 printer on a Kyocera SB-110 network interface. My system is Ubuntu 9.04 with the CUPS version 1.3.9. The newest ppd-file for the printer is installed.

I have the problem that printing images takes a long time, and so do pdf files with pictures and/or many math formulas.

For example an scanned picture with 200dpi. as a bmp file it has 4,5MB. If i print it directly from the application (EyeOfGnome - Image Viewer), the CUPS printing-queue says size 1340k and the printing-queue of the SB-110 shows 30742k and the duration of 471 seconds.

If I first print the picture to a .ps-file and then print this .ps file, for example with evince, the CUPS printing-queue says size 1942k and the printing queue of the SB-110 shows 5870k and the duration is only 20 seconds.

Watching the networktraffic, while printing the picture directly it reaches a max of 250k, printing the .ps file the traffic reaches around 900k.

i assume, printing the picture directly transfers bitmap data, and the printer has more work to do, accepting a max of 250k input?! so it is more data, and it even takes more time to transfer it. is there a way with CUPS, so it directly prints the PS code to my printer?!

maybe someone can clear some things up for me, tia wrdaniel