Printing through Wycom

Patrick Swanson peswanson at cox.net
Thu May 28 04:36:56 PDT 2009

How do you setup a printer in CUPS to print to an HP PCL printer through a Wycom device?

I tried setting the printer to generic / text. We get 2 pages of garbage (HJ on the first page and then a blank page) then the checks print fine. Printing a simple text file from the Linux OS prints on the first page but has HJ before the expected text.

Wycom support said it was due to CUPS printing using an image file rather than sending pure ASCII text. All printing to other HP PCL printers and not going through the Wycom is fine.