[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3201: cups 1.3.10 refuses to acceptfiles from clients with older (1.3.6) cups

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon May 18 20:05:27 PDT 2009

Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009, Michael Sweet wrote:
>

>> [STR Closed w/Resolution]
>>
>> Dupe of STR #2715.
>>
>> Upgrade your client - CUPS 1.3.6 had a bug in the option encoding code
>> that did not treat "job-sheets" as multi-valued. The fix came in 1.3.7.
>
> a) cups 1.36 client worked fine with cups 1.3.6 server. Ie, you have also
> changed the SERVER code to make the server incompatible with the 1.3.6
> client
> when it was not previously. This is a bug in the server code. It should
> NOT be
> enforcing formats when it was not doing so before.

1.3.6 broke the encoding of the job-sheets attribute.  Without the
fix included in 1.3.7 (or without downgrading to 1.3.5), banner pages
don't work.

The server enforcing valid banner pages just makes sure that we won't
break things in the future and that users know that the banner they
chose is not available.  This is not a bug, the "blindly ignore any
crap the client sends" in 1.3.6 and earlier was a bug.