Cups-pdf - Advanced usage.

Stuart s_den87 at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 11:03:11 PDT 2009

Hello,

Just a rather long query regarding printing to PDF.

I have installed the Cups-PDF printing system which enables me to send a normal text file and create a PDF of it. I then use the pdftk to merge that file with a template.

My question is, that I have a database system that will need to send different output to this PDF conversion and then - depending on what it is - merge it with a specific template, then email it out to an email address.

So I guess what I am asking is that is there a set-up somewhere currently that would allow me to send a print job to a PDF conversion program which if I send some different parameters - such as:

lp -dcupspdf -typeINV -etesting at example.com

That way when i send the print job it does the conversion, and it also know that it is a type INV so it merges it with whatever template INV is defined to. Then finally it emails out that PDF to the said email address.

Hope this makes sense and any advice is greatly aprieciated.

I guess what I am asking simply, is can I send arguments to Cups-PDF (Or a variation of) so that I can then run a script at the post processing stage, with those original arguments sent and passed along?