[cups.general] Adding a Printer

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Sun Nov 1 12:28:59 PST 2009

> I'm trying at add a printer and driver remotely using Apple Remote
> Desktop and can't seem to figure it out.  I setup the printer on my
> computer, took the .ppd file and the officejet.driver file and moved
> them to the correct locations (I believe) and used a script to
> install, but I'm still getting errors.  Am I missing something?
>
> __Printer install script__:
> /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p HPColorInkjet -E -v lpd://192.168.54.60 -m
> k8600.ppd -o printer-is-shared=false
> (I also tried this same script with 'socket' instead of lpd with no
> luck)
>
> _File Locations:_
> Moved officejet.driver to /library/printers/hp/cups
> Moved K8600.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model
>
> Is there an different way to do this that is better?  I'm open to
> advise/recommendations.  What files are required for a cups printer
> to work besides the .ppd and the .driver?
>
> Thanks, Joe

Hi, you may want to look at the utility script which configures the
printers on as part of PrinterSetup.

You may even decide to use PrinterSetup to build a Apple install
package which you then deploy with PrinterSetup. There are screen
casts available online to step you though this process.

For details visit the PrinterSetup webpage : http://www.lucidsystems.org/printingworks/printersetup