[cups.general] The problem with *cupsFilter

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Nov 3 02:44:20 PST 2009

Hello,

On Nov 2 23:18 Artiom Vasiukov wrote (shortened):
> I created my own filter. In the PPD wrote:
> *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-raw 0 /usr/local/bin/sap.pl"
> No other such lines in the file.
..
..
..
> Why does the system determines the file type correctly
> but when it does not run my filter?

I didn't try to verify it but I think that application/vnd.cups-raw
means "raw" printing which means "do not call any filter".

Therefore it may work when you can specify a new MIME type
in /etc/cups/mime.* which matches to those particular files
for which /usr/local/bin/sap.pl is intended, compare
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

By the way:
Does the cupsd look in /usr/local/bin/ for executables?
Isn't there a somewhat limited PATH in cupsd where is looks
for filters and backends?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex