cups ignores options

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Wed Nov 4 07:50:43 PST 2009

Hi,

cups-Server: 1.1.23, SuSE SLES
cups-Client: Mac OS 10.6.1

On the client I added a cups shared printer via
ipp://printserver:631/printers/presse. The printserver defines duplex
printing by default for presse . Sometimes I want to disable duplex
printing or print colors as grey etc. but my options are ignored on the
cups server.

I tracked it down a bit:
On the cups server I use Helge's pdftops-filter. This filter is called
with lots of options. The last option is "sides=one-sided". So my Mac
tells the cups server to print this document simplex ... but pdftops
seems to ignore the option and the resulting postscript file contains

/pdfSetup {
  3 1 roll 2 array astore
  /setpagedevice where {
    pop 3 dict begin
      /PageSize exch def
      /ImagingBBox null def
      /Policies 1 dict dup begin /PageSize 3 def end def
      { /Duplex true def } if
    currentdict end setpagedevice
  } {
    pop pop
  } ifelse
} def

Thus, the document is printed duplex.

I wonder where this "sides=one-sided" comes from. I can not find these
strings in the printers ppd file ... any hints?

--
Kind regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Fingerprint: F39C E314 2650 650D 8092 9514 3A56 FBD8 79E3 27B2