cups ignores options

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Nov 5 05:28:16 PST 2009

Helge Blischke schrieb:
> Christoph Litauer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> cups-Server: 1.1.23, SuSE SLES
>> cups-Client: Mac OS 10.6.1
>>
>> On the client I added a cups shared printer via
>> ipp://printserver:631/printers/presse. The printserver defines duplex
>> printing by default for presse . Sometimes I want to disable duplex
>> printing or print colors as grey etc. but my options are ignored on the
>> cups server.
>>
>> I tracked it down a bit:
>> On the cups server I use Helge's pdftops-filter. This filter is called
>> with lots of options. The last option is "sides=one-sided". So my Mac
>> tells the cups server to print this document simplex ... but pdftops
>> seems to ignore the option and the resulting postscript file contains
>>
>> /pdfSetup {
>>   3 1 roll 2 array astore
>>   /setpagedevice where {
>>     pop 3 dict begin
>>       /PageSize exch def
>>       /ImagingBBox null def
>>       /Policies 1 dict dup begin /PageSize 3 def end def
>>       { /Duplex true def } if
>>     currentdict end setpagedevice
>>   } {
>>     pop pop
>>   } ifelse
>> } def
>>
>> Thus, the document is printed duplex.
>>
>> I wonder where this "sides=one-sided" comes from. I can not find these
>> strings in the printers ppd file ... any hints?
>>

> That statement in braces
> { /Duplex true def} if
> only gets executed if the pdftops utility (called from my filter script) is
> configured to force duplex by the respective statement in the config file.
> I guess you have set
> psDuplex yes
> in the config file. You should set this to no (or delete this statement, as
> no is the default) and configure the default duplexing using the respective
> PPD option so that duplexing is selected by the pstops filter. Then your
> "sides=one-sided" will take effect.

Helge, thanks for your quick answer.
Sadly, I had no option psDuplex in pdftops.conf, setting it to "no" did
not change anything. Perhaps you get further when getting more information?

Looking in http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/cups/ you will find some
files:
1.) pdftops.conf
2.) test.pdf is the pdf-input
3.) test.out is the output sent through all filters, the code that is
sent to the printer
4.) test.ps is generated by:
env PRINTER=test CUPS_SERVERROOT=/etc/cups /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops
123 username test 1 "sides=one-sided" test.pdf |
env PRINTER=test /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops 123 username test 1
"sides=one-sided" > test.ps
5.) test.ppd is the printers ppd file.

--
Kind regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Fingerprint: F39C E314 2650 650D 8092 9514 3A56 FBD8 79E3 27B2