[cups.general] cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "hplj6l" - Missing double quote on line 224!

Alnis Morics alnis.morics at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 04:45:33 PST 2009

Alnis Morics wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed a CUPS 1.3.10 and Samba (3.3.8) PDC server on FreeBSD
> 7.2. File share works ok, printing works from CUPS web interface ok,
> and at least from one of the Win workstations but now I wish to share
> the printer drivers, too.
>
> So I installed the cups-samba port, made sure my [Printers] and
> [$print] sections as suggested in the cupsaddsmb man page, copied the
> Win drivers for my printer to /usr/local/share/cups/drivers, added the
> root account to samba and tried to export the drivers to the samba
> share, but cupsaddsmb refuses to:
>
> myserver# cupsaddsmb -U root -a -v
> cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "hplj6l" - Missing double quote on
> line 224!
>
> Now, hplj6l is how I named my HP LaserJet 6L printer in CUPS. I
> installed it using a ppd file from linuxprinting.org
> <http://linuxprinting.org> (HP-LaserJet_6L-lj4dith.ppd). CUPS also
> seems to have put a file named hplj6l.ppd in
> /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/hplj6l.ppd. I tried to run cupstestppd against
> the two files but they pass ok.
> Tried to add the two files and hplj6p_4.ppd (a file from Windows
> driver cab) to /usr/local/share/cups/model, but no effect.
>
> Now, where does cupsaddsmb look for the PPD file, and where does it
> get the funny "Missing double quote on line 224"? Any ideas of what's
> wrong here?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Alnis
Hi,

2 days ago I wrote a mail here about problems with exporting drivers
from CUPS to Samba, and nobody answered. I'm still struggling with this
problem and trying whatever comes to my mind.

I also looked at the source trying to at least understand at which point
the strange message comes up, and on my FreeBSD ports system it is here:

/usr/ports/print/cups-base/work/cups-1.3.10/systemv/cupsaddsmb.c:

229  /*
230   * Get the Windows PPD file for the printer...
231   */
232
233   if (!cupsAdminCreateWindowsPPD(http, dest, ppdfile, sizeof(ppdfile)))
234   {
235     _cupsLangPrintf(stderr,
236                     _("cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer \"%s\" - "
237                       "%s\n"),
238                     dest, cupsLastErrorString());
239     return (1);
240   }

Aparrently cupsaddsmb fails at the moment it tries to create a Windows
PPD file for my printer (function cupsAdminCreateWindowsPPD(http, dest,
ppdfile, sizeof(ppdfile)), and I just found this is already filed as a
bug on the CUPS site:
http://cups.org/str.php?L3314+Qversion:1.4
And it's not even going to be solved in 1.4.1...

Now, I don't quite understand all information there. So, it's related to
Gutenprint drivers, right? And that's exactly what I installed. Does it
mean I could solve the problem if I use hplip instead? (I didn't try to
because hplip had problems with python headers while compiling) Is there
a way to work around this problem (I mean, the cupsAdminCreateWindowsPPD
issue) and still export Windows drivers to Samba? Or can I share my
printer in any other way so that Windows users can add it to their
profiles themselves?

Thanks,

Alnis