[cups.general] Fwd: cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "hplj6l" - Missing double quote on line 224!

Alnis Morics alnis.morics at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 09:10:36 PST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alnis Morics <alnis.morics at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: [cups.general] cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "hplj6l" -
Missing double quote on line 224!
To: "Mirror of cups.general Newsgroup" <cups at easysw.com>

Michael Sweet wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2009, at 4:45 AM, Alnis Morics wrote:

>> 2 days ago I wrote a mail here about problems with exporting drivers
>> from CUPS to Samba, and nobody answered. I'm still struggling with this
>> problem and trying whatever comes to my mind.
>>

> Keep in mind that this is just a forum of CUPS users and volunteer
> developers...

Oh, no offence, please don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone, I'm just
desperate because a whole week I'm struggling with a thing that I expected
to be simple... :)

>> Aparrently cupsaddsmb fails at the moment it tries to create a Windows
>> PPD file for my printer (function cupsAdminCreateWindowsPPD(http, dest,
>> ppdfile, sizeof(ppdfile)), and I just found this is already filed as a
>> bug on the CUPS site:
>> http://cups.org/str.php?L3314+Qversion:1.4
>> And it's not even going to be solved in 1.4.1...
>>

> It isn't clear from your description that STR #3314 is the issue you are
> running into, since the driver downloaded from openprinting.org <
> http://openprinting.org> is probably not Gutenprint-based.
>

> It would be more helpful if you could post a link to the exact PPD file you
> are using, or just post it to the bug you mentioned so we can investigate
> the issue further on our end.

> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer

Ok, by now I tried these two PPDs:

http://openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=lj4dith&printer=HP-LaserJet_6L&show=0
http://openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=ljet4&printer=HP-LaserJet_6L&show=0

Alnis