Printing from Java to local printer fails

Hans Artmann mail at arcasys.de
Mon Nov 9 10:31:08 PST 2009

PrintServiceLookup finds all printers. Jobs directed to a printer on a remote machine are created and printed properly.
Jobs directed to a local printer don't even create a job entry in CUPS and they don't print.
There is no exception thrown.
There are messages created in /var/log/cups/error_log on debug level but no visible errors.
I tried with JRE1.6_03 and 1.6_12 and 1.6_17. and CUPS Versions: 1.2.7, 1.3.8, 1.4.x

>From what I can see in the Java debugger I think it must have something to do with Java sending to ipp://localhost:631
which is obviously not processed by cups while any other target works fine.
A test page can be printed locally and e.g. lp -d printer file also works.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
I've posted the same problem to the Sun Java Forum in parallel.

Hans