[cups.general] cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "hplj6l" - Missing double quote on line 224!

Alnis Morics alnis.morics at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:35:38 PST 2009

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Alnis Morics wrote:
>

>> Helge Blischke wrote:

>>> Well, the PPD is formally correct, it conforms to the spec b y Adobe.
>>> But, as the PPDs converted by cupsaddsmb must conform to the additional
>>> restrictions imposed by the Windows PSCRIPT driver, it is fairly useless
>>> to try to convert PPDs which contain foomatic related keywords.
>>>

>>> Helge

>>> signature database 4579 (20091106) __________

>>> http://www.eset.com
>>>

>> Ok, thanks. But then, is there a way I can create a printer driver
>> share? Actually, HP LaserJet 6L is a PCL printer, not pscript, and
>> Windows natively uses a PCL driver for it, AFAIK. Maybe I don't even
>> need a PPD (Postscript Printer Description)?
>>
>> Alnis

>> signature database 4579 (20091106) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

> I think you'd need to
> (1) configure a raw printer in CUPS (one without a PPD)
> (2) install the native printer drier software on the Win client(s)
> (3) manually add the respective printer using the APW and manually
>     configure the connection type (either the samba mothod or use the ipp or
>     http scheme.
>
> Helge

> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4590 (20091109) __________

> http://www.eset.com

I noticed that there's difference between the permissions CUPS itself
has made for its drivers in

/usr/local/share/cups/drivers and the Win drivers I copied there. So I
changed the permissions to

cups:wheel 644, and now cupsaddsmb executes ok, at last.

But there's another issue I can't still figure out: I can only add that
printer on Win workstations when

I log in there with local administrator's privileges. If not, an error
message pops up:

"A policy is effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting
to this print queue. Please

contact your system administrator."

I set /var/spool/samba permissions to 777 but this didn't change anything.