Using HP LaserJet printers to replace lineprinters

peter plinehan at dek.com
Tue Nov 10 02:24:02 PST 2009

> peter wrote:
>
> >> Make sure you are using the texttops filter and not texttopaps (which
> >> is a Red Hat replacement filter that does not implement all of the
> >> standard text options...)

> >> ___________________________________________________
> >> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer
> >>

> > Michael,
> > I think I am using the textonly filter
> >
> > I have this line in my PPD
> > *cupsFilter:    "text/plain 0 textonly"
> >
> > What I am finding now is that I can use the laserjet.ppd or the
> > hp_color_LaserJet_5550.ppd with no apparent difference, BUT even if I
> > specify landscape ie orientation-requested =4  I get the lines wrapping on
> > to the next line at approx column 102
> > I have set the pages size as A3 and the cpi=17 so I should be able to get
> > it all in.  If I use nowrap it does not appear to have any effect.
> >
> > I have created a file with a set of numbers and '.'  to
> > print :
> > I get no wrapping for lines like
> >
> 0........40........50........60........70........80........90........100.......110.......120.......130
> > Thats to 132 characters and I can even replace some of the '.' with spaces
> > and it is still OK BUT is I send a line of text, with spaces, or '.'
> > something like this
> > [ Mon Nov  9 11:27:11 GMT 2009 ] File: ty0928871127031.dat[1832]
> > [ Owner:robtest Form:C DKSOPR:145010092 PRINTER:JETUKMIS-CCN:
> >
> > I get a wrap at
> > PRINTER:
> > ie about col 103
> >
> > I have checked the ASCII characters
> >
> > So what am I missing here ?
> >
> > Thanks for all help
>
> If your text-only jobs use CR, LF, FF, and TAB as the only control
> characters, I could send you a set of PostScript routines that emulate a
> "dumb" ASCII line printer by PostScript.
> If you tell me the page dimensions you use I could even give you a simple
> Perl script acting as a "textonly" filter.
>
> Drop me an e-mail if this is an option for you.
> Helge

Helge
I am not sure how to implement the Postscript routines, nor the perl script ( although I guess it would be referenced in the ppd file.
But that would be very good.

We plan to use standard A3 paper, in Landscape mode - that most closely matches the standard 'green lined' paper we have been using from our line printers.
So the sizes are :-
11.7 inches (29.7 cm) wide and 16.5 inches ( 42.0 cm) high - In Portrait layout

You did not provide an email address (as expected) so i hope you can attach tghe routines to a reply to this - if not reply and I will organise a suitable email address to send them to
Thanks