Printing from Canon IP4500

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Nov 11 12:41:51 PST 2009

Howard wrote:

> I'm trying to get my Canon IP4500 printer to work on my Suse 10.2.
>
> If I set up to use the IP4000 option in CUPS the printer responds by
> issuing a blank page. So I know there is a response.
>
> I have downloaded and run cnijfilter-ip4500series-2.80-1.i386 which I got
> from HP, and the IP4500 now appears in the CUPS options, but then the
> printer won't work at all. I know the printer's OK as it runs on the WinXP
> box.
>
> Please, what else do I need to do to get it working ?
>
> I do have a downloaded copy of Gutenprint 5.2.3, which I understand
> includes the 4500, but I'm not sure now how to incorporate or install it,
> if this is really needed.
>
> I should say that preferably I want to use the printer via the WinXP box
> and samba and the LAN, and this is how I'm working at present. The other
> (Epson) printer operated this way works just fine, so I think it must be
> an IP4500 related problem rather than a network or Win problem
I just installed the Canon PIXMA IP 4500 using Gutenprint 5.2.4 (CUPS
1.3.11) using my print-to-file backend (as I do not have the physical
printer) and successfully printed a test page.

If you want to get the generated printer specific file, drop me an e-mail to
h dot blischke at acm dot org.

Helge