Neglect USB serial number

Daniel Dencker dd at servotek.se
Thu Nov 12 00:21:12 PST 2009

Hi.

I am working for a company where we have several computers with exactly the same setup. We also have a number of identical printers.

I have installed a HP USB printer using the hp-setup command. I works fine, but the installation is locked to a specific printer. I would like to be able to take any printer of exactly the same model and connect it and print, without reinstalling. This doesn't work, and I assume that the problem is that the printer serial number is specified in /etc/cups/printers.conf.

Is there any way to neglect/override the serial number in CUPS?

Thanks and best regards.

/Daniel Dencker