[cups.general] Print PDF direct to printer

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Fri Nov 13 02:21:39 PST 2009

Johannes Meixner schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> unfortunately I have no helpful answer but more questions:
>
> On Nov 13 01:01 Christoph Litauer wrote (shortened):
>> ... students ... print some PDF
>> - the students print 2- or 4-up.
>> I wonder wether it would be possible to get a (possibly generic) windows
>> driver that doesn't convert the pdf documents to postscript or pcl.
>> Instead it should modify the PDF code as to use some printer special
>> features (input tray, duplex, color vs. greyscale etc.) and send pdf
>> code to the cups server. Then it would be easy to configure cups to
>> detect windows generated pdf code and send this code unmodified to the
>> backend.
>
> I don't know about the current state of the PDF printing workflow.
> In particular I don't know if the current PDF printing workflow
> already suports printer specific features (input tray, duplex, ...)
> natively in PDF (without conversion into PostScript before).
>
> Even if this prerequisite would be already fulfilled,
> I don't know how your request could work with N-up printing?
>
> Is there a simple way to convert an arbitrary original PDF
> in a 2-up or 4-up PDF?

Well ... I'm not really an expert in windows printing questions ...
I would assume that e.g. acrobat reader does the n-up formatting sending
the result to the printer driver -- which should not recompute this code.
Another idea would be a PJL command for n-up printing -- although I
don't think any printer supports such a command ...

--
Kind regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Fingerprint: F39C E314 2650 650D 8092 9514 3A56 FBD8 79E3 27B2