unable to connect to printer

boaz bilan at ucmerced.edu
Tue Nov 17 17:49:21 PST 2009

Hello All,

I am not sure if this is a CUPS problem, but I am trying to print to a network printer using CUPS (1.3.11) from a Mac/10.5. The printer queue hangs showing "Connecting to [printer ip] on port 631..." and eventually "Unable to connect to printer;...".

I believe the printer (Xerox WCP 90) is configured for lpd and ipp and I that have the correct ip. Incidentally, I am able to print to a USB printer via CUPS and other people can print to this Xerox printer from their Macs.

/var/log/cups/error_log shows this during the printing attempt:
cupsdReadClient: 16 POST / HTTP/1.1
cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.
Get-Printer-Attributes ipp://localhost/printers/mailroom
cupsdProcessIPPRequest: 16 status_code=0 (successful-ok)

cups.conf has:
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup admin
SystemGroupAuthKey system.print.admin
Listen 127.0.0.1:631
Listen /private/var/run/cupsd
Browsing On
BrowseAllow 127.0.0.1
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseDeny All
BrowseOrder deny,allow

printers.conf has
<Printer mailroom>
Info mailroom
DeviceURI ipp://[printer ip]
State Idle
StateTime 1258506246
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

I would appreciate greatly any suggestions or let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you for your help,
Boaz