[cups.general] Conversion of Printstream from Epson (ESC/P, ESC/P2), IBM Proprinter, NEC Pinwriter

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Nov 18 05:55:54 PST 2009

Hello,

On Nov 18 04:36 Michael Leimann wrote (shortened):
> Has anyone ever tried to use the filters from PPR Spooler with CUPS?

I never used PPR (so that I never tried to use its filters with CUPS)
but as far as I know PPR is like the traditional LPR spooler
so that its fiters should be usual stdin->stdout processing tools.

Any usual stdin->stdout processing tool can be modified
to be run as a filter for CUPS via a wrapper script
which reads the usual arguments argv[0]...argv[5] and the
optional argv[6] from CUPS according to what the CUPS man
page "man 7 filter" describes and then calls the
usual stdin->stdout processing tool accordingly.

For an example for such a wrapper have a look at our "pipe" backend
(backends are a special case of filters, see "man backend")
in an up-to-date cups-backends package (no older one!) e.g. from
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/suse/

For more information in particular regarding
"System V style interface script" have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex