[cups.general] Canon MF4370DN laser

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 18 16:19:56 PST 2009

I finally had to give up trying to keep my LJ4MP going, and bought the
subject printer on what seems to have been a model closeout. Newer models
have wireless, while this only has wired ethernet and USB.

The presumably North America box it came in says right on it Linux is
supported for print only. I called Canon to find out what driver to use, and
they claim it is supported on Linux, but not for users in North America, and
will not tell me what driver to try.

This printer uses Canon's UFR language, and under Vista "only" supports XPS.

I tried to figure this out by opening the openSUSE 11.0/KDE3 menu's Cups
printer control choice, but all I get is a busy cursor that only goes away by
logging out of KDE. :-(

I searched http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.general for this model
and came up empty. Any ideas what driver I should try, or if I should return
it to the store instead? It works fine in WinXP, but not with the MultiPASS
C2500 or MultiPASS C5500 drivers I tried after not finding any MF* models to
choose from in the YaST2 printer setup options.
--
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to
his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/