[cups.general] Canon MF4370DN laser

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 21 12:01:12 PST 2009

On 2009/11/19 02:50 (GMT-0800) Helge Blischke composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I finally had to give up trying to keep my LJ4MP going, and bought the
>> subject printer on what seems to have been a model closeout. Newer models
>> have wireless, while this only has wired ethernet and USB.

>> The presumably North America box it came in says right on it Linux is
>> supported for print only. I called Canon to find out what driver to use,
>> and they claim it is supported on Linux, but not for users in North
>> America, and will not tell me what driver to try.

>> This printer uses Canon's UFR language, and under Vista "only" supports
>> XPS.

>> I tried to figure this out by opening the openSUSE 11.0/KDE3 menu's Cups
>> printer control choice, but all I get is a busy cursor that only goes away
>> by logging out of KDE. :-(

>> I searched http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.general for this model
>> and came up empty. Any ideas what driver I should try, or if I should
>> return it to the store instead? It works fine in WinXP, but not with the
>> MultiPASS C2500 or MultiPASS C5500 drivers I tried after not finding any
>> MF* models to choose from in the YaST2 printer setup options.

> I found a Linux driver to download at http://de.software.canon-
> europe.com/software/0035667 .
> Theu warn possibly to request the printer's serial number, though.

Thanks for that!

I couldn't figure out a way for that URL to not generate a 404 page. However
the 404 page included a search box, from which I was able to find a download
link at http://de.software.canon-europe.com/products/0010668.asp and get the
file Canon_UFRII_Linux_V1.90_EN.tar.gz which includes debs and rpms for 32
bit and 64 bit x86. Extracting the 32 bit rpm and installing with rpm gave a
working driver for YaST to find and install.

Amazing Canon cannot be bothered to put that file on the included driver CD
or admit via its support staff that it exists.

OTOH, I downloaded the US drivers for the Mac. The FAX and Scanner refused to
install. The Printer claimed to install, but won't actually print anything.
--
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to
his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/