[cups.general] Unable to reserve port: Address already in use

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Nov 27 15:56:21 PST 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Stef Coene wrote:
>> If all of the queues use lpd://... device URIs, this is a normal =
>> consequence of the LPD protocol requirement that requests have to come =
>> from a privileged port.  The backend will automatically retry until it =
>> can get one, so this shouldn't normally be an issue.
> If I'm not mistaken, I saw in the sources that each port down from 720 is tried untill a free one is found.
> What if I have 720 lpd processes running because I have 720 print jobs running when there are lots of  printers down?

The default is to try all privileged ports from 721 to 1023 (303 simultaneous jobs); in RFC-comformance mode, we only try 721 to 731 (11 simultaneous jobs).

In any case, there are plenty of services on those privileged ports on a typical server, so the actual number of available ports is usually less...