Problema After CUPS Update to v1.4.1

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Nov 2 08:13:10 PST 2009

Adelino Couto wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I have a urgent problem to solve. I have one RedhatEnterprise AS 4.7 that
> comes with v1.1 of CUPS. Last weekend i have made the update to v1.4. All
> the printers are present but when i try to print from my application that
> need to covert PDF to PS, there is no reply from the printers. I have seen
> the log of CUPS and i saw the following line "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops
> failed". I have made some googling and people say that the new version of
> pdftops works diferent from the precious. I need help. Do anyone
> understand this problem?
>
> Thanks.
> Adelino Couto

You didn't tell how you did the upgrade - if you installed a precompiled rpm
package or compiled yourself from the sources etc..
Anyway, since 1.3.something the native pdftops filter executable calls
either the pdftops utility from xpdf or the poppler equivalent or
ghostscript.
If you compile from the sources, this choice is a configure option; if you
insall a precompiled rpm package, it depends on how your distributor has
compiled it. Check the ependencies and install what is still missing.

Helge