Problema After CUPS Update to v1.4.1

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Nov 3 02:56:10 PST 2009

Adelino Couto wrote:

>> > Hello everyone.
>> > I have a urgent problem to solve. I have one RedhatEnterprise AS 4.7
>> > that comes with v1.1 of CUPS. Last weekend i have made the update to
>> > v1.4. All the printers are present but when i try to print from my
>> > application that need to covert PDF to PS, there is no reply from the
>> > printers. I have seen the log of CUPS and i saw the following line
>> > "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops failed". I have made some googling and
>> > people say that the new version of pdftops works diferent from the
>> > precious. I need help. Do anyone understand this problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> > Adelino Couto
>>
>> You didn't tell how you did the upgrade - if you installed a precompiled
>> rpm package or compiled yourself from the sources etc..
>> Anyway, since 1.3.something the native pdftops filter executable calls
>> either the pdftops utility from xpdf or the poppler equivalent or
>> ghostscript.
>> If you compile from the sources, this choice is a configure option; if
>> you insall a precompiled rpm package, it depends on how your distributor
>> has compiled it. Check the ependencies and install what is still missing.
>>
>> Helge
>>
> I installed from the source. Can you tellme what is the optino.
>
> Thanks
> Adelino Couto

../configure --help

should list all possible options. I think the relevant option is
	--with-pdftops[=path_to_the_pdftops_binary]
which defaulots to /usr/bin/pdftops and assumes that whatever variant
(from xpdf or poppler) is located there.
Otherwise, Ghostscript with the path /usr/bin/gs is assumed.

As I currently have no (plans to install) 1.4.1 on my machine, I only can
look into the sources at svn.easysw.com.

Helge