[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3420: Page logging broken: page_log remains empty

Martin Jacobs martin.jacobs at nexgo.de
Mon Nov 16 22:36:15 PST 2009

[STR New]

Hi,
writing entries into file page_log seems to have two prerequistites:
- entry in cupsd.conf like PageLog /var/log/cups/page_log
- PAGE: pseudo debug messages written by filter processes into stderr
pipe.

That mechanism seems to be broken, my printing sub system running CPUS
1.3.11 with HPLIP 3.9.10 printer queues does not create one single
page_log entry.

Doing a full (s)trace on one print job, I discoverd that no PAGE: messages
where written by any filter. Trying to sort that out I made this discovery:

This filter

echo "Hello" | /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops litfass 1 mjacobs "(stdin)" 1
 | /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops litfass 1 mjacobs "(stdin)" 1  > /dev/null

writes a couple of DEBUG messages and ONE PAGE message, see file
echo-cups-filter-with-PAGE-stderr.lst

Giving both filters access to ppd file suppresses that PAGE message:

echo "Hello" | PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/litfass.ppd /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops
1 mjacobs "(stdin)" 1 x | PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/litfass.ppd
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops 1 mjacobs "(stdin)" 1 x > /dev/null

writes no PAGE message, see file echo-cups-filter-without-PAGE-stderr.lst

Both files are attached in archive cups_1_3_11_page_logging_broken.tgz

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3420
Version: 1.3.11