Import Filters for ESC/P(2), PCL, etc.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Nov 19 08:45:33 PST 2009

Michael Leimann wrote:

>> That's not how I read the excerpt you forwarded from him - he seems to
>> sugg= est that *you* do it and give him the enhancement. I do not think
>> he offere= d, in any case, from what I read.
>
> David Chappell wrote:
>
> "If the CUPS maintainers would like to incorporate filter_dotmatrix, I
> would be willing to port it to CUPS.  Perhaps you could discuss it with
> them."
>
> Have a lot of fun...
>
> Michael

I've just looked somewhat deeper into the sources of that PPR filter.
Porting it to CUPS will surely require some amount of tweaking, mainly for
the following reasons:
- the current implementation seems to be somewhat restricted to the
  printers installed at Trinity; OTOH nearly all ESCP/2 commands are
  handled (though some are implemented as noops),
- it handles a lot of command line options which should be implemented
  as PPD options ,
- it only handles (selectable) 8 bit charsets, not UTF-8 (which is the
  current CUPS standard).

Helge