[cups.development] Import Filters for ESC/P(2), PCL, etc.

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 19 09:20:22 PST 2009

--- On Thu, 19/11/09, Michael Leimann <mleimann at europe.com> wrote:

> > - it only handles (selectable) 8
> bit charsets, not UTF-8 (which is the
> >   current CUPS standard).
>
> Isn't this a hardware issue? ESC/P(2) is 'spoken' by 'old'
> dotmatrix printers. Would they understand UTF-8?

No, most of ESP/P(2) predates Unicode. They still works in the old (windows code-page) system where the printing instructions are sort of in this form: "I like to use this font, to do this following text, and the following text is in frehch/cryllic/slovic/german" where a code-page/encoding instruction is sent to say what encoding the text is. utf-8 is usually not one of them. Or, that's my understanding of ESC/P(2). (I used to have the 6-part ESC/P reference manual pdf's, and it is probably still in my hard disc somewhere.).

Apologies - I stand corrected - sorry it is just that all too often people say they are happy to do some work and nothing happens :-).