HP UX -> Linux/Cups/Samba -> Windows Printer Server - > Printer

Scott skroegs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:05:16 PDT 2009

I have an HP Integrity server that I want to print to a printer tied to a windows printer server. I believe this can be done by installing samba and cups. My problem is that the HP server is a production server with a good deal of printers already setup on it and I can't afford to break printing by installing CUPS and I don't have an extra HP machine for testing. I am wondering if it would be possible to stick a Linux machine running Samba and CUPS between the HP machine and the Windows print server to bridge that gap?

Some more specific questions:

Can CUPS accept print requests from an HP remote printer queue? I've seen some references to a compatibility modules for this, but haven't been able to locate this module.

If a CUPS client is required can it be installed without affecting the operation of the standard HP UX printer spooler?

Can a queue be setup in the HP spooler that points to the cups client?

The printer I want to print to (Epson TM-T88IV thermal receipt printer) does not have a CUPS driver, but it only needs to print plain text. Is it possible to send raw text through CUPS to a printer on a windows server that has a driver there?

Thanks for the help,
Scott