[cups.general] Updating CUPS driver on a MAC

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 1 13:43:54 PDT 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 1:33 PM, Steve Sweeney wrote:
> Could someone confirm that in order to update the CUPS driver on a
> MAC, it is necessary to auto update the MAC OS?

"the" CUPS driver?  If you mean the sample drivers bundled with CUPS,
then yes. For any other driver, no.

> We found that by updating our MAC Leopard OS we moved up two
> versions of CUPS.  However, we did not find a way to update just the
> CUPS driver itself.  Also, is there a cutoff point for CUPS driver
> updates?  Is it necessary to go to Snow Leopard in order to move up
> to 1.4.0 and above of CUPS?

In general, CUPS drivers are totally independent of the version of
CUPS installed on your system.

As for updating to newer versions of CUPS, you'll only get 1.4.x from
Apple by upgrading to Snow Leopard.  Leopard will never be updated
past 1.3.11.