[cups.general] HP Universal driver query

Sean.Burke at shell.com Sean.Burke at shell.com
Tue Oct 6 01:46:07 PDT 2009

Hi folks,

our org is rolling out new HP printers throughout the company to their windows print servers.

>From the cups side on Linux, we query the windows servers and install any new ones that crop up. The normal scenario is that a new printer comes along, it is picked up from the Windows print servers and if we don't have a ppd driver installed, then we see an entry in the errlog:

Alias match not found for driver HP Color LaserJet 3800 PS

We would then obtain the ppd driver and next update run, the printer gets installed ok.

For our new printers being installed however, the Windows team have used the new HP Universal driver (covering several different models):, so we now get:

Alias match not found for driver HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v4.7).

I can't seem to locate an equivalent ppd for this and I can't see it in the hplip distro. Has anyone come across this situation or can suggest a suitable ppd to try?

Cheers

Sean

Sean Burke
SSD Service Engineer : T-Systems. : A Deutsche Telekom Company
Shell U.K. Limited
1 Altens Farm Road, Nigg, Aberdeen, AB12 3FY, United Kingdom

Tel: +441224 818601 8601
Email: sean.burke at shell.com
Internet: http://www.shell.com/eandp