[cups.general] HP Universal driver query

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Oct 6 02:35:27 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Oct 6 10:45 Sean.Burke at shell.com wrote (shortened):
> our org is rolling out new HP printers throughout the company
> to their windows print servers.
>
> From the cups side on Linux, we query the windows servers and install
> any new ones that crop up. The normal scenario is that a new printer
> comes along, it is picked up from the Windows print servers
> and if we don't have a ppd driver installed, then we see an
> entry in the errlog:
>
> Alias match not found for driver HP Color LaserJet 3800 PS
>
> We would then obtain the ppd driver and next update run, the printer
> gets installed ok.
>
> For our new printers being installed however, the Windows team have
> used the new HP Universal driver (covering several different models):,
> so we now get:
>
> Alias match not found for driver HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v4.7).
>
> I can't seem to locate an equivalent ppd for this and I can't see it
> in the hplip distro. Has anyone come across this situation or can
> suggest a suitable ppd to try?

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a
generic "PCL 6" driver?

If yes, you may run on the CUPS server something like
   lpinfo -m | grep -i 'pcl *6'
which results e.g. on my openSUSE 11.1 workstation:
gutenprint/stp-pcl-g_6.5.0.ppd.gz
  Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2
Generic/PCL_6_PCL_XL_Printer-lj4dith.ppd.gz
  Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/lj4dith
Generic/PCL_6_PCL_XL_Printer-lj5gray.ppd.gz
  Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/lj5gray
Generic/PCL_6_PCL_XL_Printer-ljet4.ppd.gz
  Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/ljet4
Generic/PCL_6_PCL_XL_Printer-ljet4d.ppd.gz
  Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/ljet4d
Generic/PCL_6_PCL_XL_Printer-pxlmono.ppd.gz
  Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlmono
pxlcolor.ppd
  HP Color LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS
pxlmono.ppd
  HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS

Have in mind that a generic driver for a particular printer
language (like "PCL 6") only supports generic features of
the printer language but may not support printer model
specific features like input bin and output tray selection
or additional units like duplexer, sorter, whatever...

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex