Fax and Faxing in Apple Mac 10.6 Server,need help sharing fax.

Erich Wetzel mail at wetzelandson.com
Tue Oct 6 06:46:23 PDT 2009

Michael,
Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps you can clarify a couple of things for me about the fax setup since Server Admin does not appear to allow the ability to share it.  If you can, I would greatly appreciate it if you could point out where I am going wrong. There are some other users at the Apple Server forum who are hoping for the same information as well.

I created the fax queue by making a document on the 10.6 server and in the print dialog selecting Fax PDF.  This triggered creation of the fax queue "External_Modem".  In Server Admin > Print > Queues, where the printers allow for sharing options to be set, the Fax queue does not appear.  However, the fax queue it does appear in the Jobs list.  It does not appear in Queues in 10.5 or 10.4 Server either.  In 10.4 and 10.5, the default setting for the Fax as a printer was "published" which I assume is equivalent to "shared" in 10.6.  The creation of the default Fax printer in 10.4 and 10.5 allowed for it to be shared by browsepolling the server for its printers.  Now the default selection appears to be "not shared" and as a result cannot be provided to client machines.

Unless I am missing something, the fax queue on our servers have never shown that they are being shared in Server Admin > Print > Jobs.  The column "Shared Via" has always shown blank for the Fax queue.

Where exactly in Server Admin, considering the above, can I get the settings for the Fax queue and share it?

Also, with regard to the terminal command you sent, where can I find the queueid?  I looked for something indicating ids in Server Admin and also in the web admin interface at localhost:631 with no luck.  Is the id the queue name?

Lastly, where does the PPD for the Apple Fax/Modem reside?  When trying to create or modify a Fax queue manually via the web admin interface I always get hung up at selecting the PPD since it does not appear to be in the same location as the PPDs for printers.

It has felt odd for some time to me and other users on the Apple > Server forum that a fax queue is not set up or shared in the same fashion as other printers in the OS and that the PPD seems to be hidden in a location not easily found when using the web interface.  Is there something obvious that I have been missing over the years?  Can you recommend a specific procedure which would create and share a fax if it should be different from what I have described above?

Thank you for your time and consideration of this issue.

-Erich