PCL printing failure Red Hat Linux

Chris VanDuyn cvanduyn at healthinsight.com
Tue Oct 6 08:10:17 PDT 2009

> --=-Qw5Ag0+7qMLLs9vctYMM
>
> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 07:23 -0700, Chris VanDuyn wrote:
> > I'm having trouble getting PCL print files to print correctly on Red
> > Hat Linux. No matter what driver I use to set up the printer the only
> > output I'm getting from the printer is the first line of the PCL file,
> > followed by multiple blank pages. I've killed many trees trying to get
> > this to work and have made no progress, so I'm hoping someone out
> > there can has seen this before and knows which switch to throw to get
> > this printing to work.
>
> If your input file is already in PCL format you probably just need to
> print the file with the 'raw' option, like:
>
> lpr -o raw -P ...
>
> Tim.
> */
>

> --=-Qw5Ag0+7qMLLs9vctYMM

> --=-Qw5Ag0+7qMLLs9vctYMM--

Thanks for the response. I tried running with raw option and got the same result as all other attempts: The first line of the PCL file printed, then nothing but blanks. The printer is currently configured as an HP Jet Direct using socket://hostname and with driver Generic PCL 5c Printer/Foomatic/ljet4 (en).

Also, we are in the middle of migrating our systems from AIX to Linux. If I take a Linux generated PCL file, move it to an AIX box and print using "lp -d <printer> <filename> I get correct output. The AIX box is not using CUPS.