[cups.general] Fax and Faxing in Apple Mac 10.6 Server, need help sharing fax.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Oct 6 08:37:35 PDT 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 6:46 AM, Erich Wetzel wrote:
> Where exactly in Server Admin, considering the above, can I get the
> settings for the Fax queue and share it?

It should normally be accessible from the Printing service UI; I'll
get a copy of 10.6 server loaded up here and see if I can walk you
through it.

> Also, with regard to the terminal command you sent, where can I find
> the queueid?  I looked for something indicating ids in Server Admin
> and also in the web admin interface at localhost:631 with no luck.
> Is the id the queue name?

Typically it is the queue name with all spaces and special characters
replaced by the underscore (e.g. "My Fax" becomes "My_Fax").  You can
run "lpstat -p" to get a list of the print queues and their IDs.

> Lastly, where does the PPD for the Apple Fax/Modem reside?  When
> trying to create or modify a Fax queue manually via the web admin
> interface I always get hung up at selecting the PPD since it does
> not appear to be in the same location as the PPDs for printers.

It isn't.  The fax PPD is buried in the PrintCore framework:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/
PrintCore.framework/Resources/Fax.ppd

> It has felt odd for some time to me and other users on the Apple >
> Server forum that a fax queue is not set up or shared in the same
> fashion as other printers in the OS and that the PPD seems to be
> hidden in a location not easily found when using the web interface.
> Is there something obvious that I have been missing over the years?
> Can you recommend a specific procedure which would create and share
> a fax if it should be different from what I have described above?

Nope, it should work like any other print queue.

(BTW, I'm happy to help here, but you should definitely file a bug
with Apple directly to make sure all of the right people know there is
a problem...)