PCL printing failure Red Hat Linux

Chris VanDuyn cvanduyn at healthinsight.com
Tue Oct 6 08:54:06 PDT 2009

> --=-oGZX9DhlC3l6rRFBrs5i
>
> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 08:10 -0700, Chris VanDuyn wrote:
> > Also, we are in the middle of migrating our systems from AIX to Linux.
> > If I take a Linux generated PCL file, move it to an AIX box and print
> > using "lp -d <printer> <filename> I get correct output. The AIX box is
> > not using CUPS.
>
> What is the actual source format?  If you didn't generate PCL from it,
> what format would it be in?
>
> The standard CUPS filters don't process PCL input -- all they can do is
> pass it through raw, or generate PCL output from other types of input
> file.
>
> Tim.
> */
>

> --=-oGZX9DhlC3l6rRFBrs5i

> --=-oGZX9DhlC3l6rRFBrs5i--

The PCL file is being generated from a PICK/Unibasic program which embeds the PCL formatting within the text file as the file is being created. During normal operations the resulting text file is sent to the printer using the "lpr" command by the running program executing a "close printer", but for testing purposes I've captured one of those files and am just sending the file to the printer from the command line. The result isn't any different regardless of which method is used to get the file to the printer.

Hopefully I've answered your question. In case it's not obvious, I'm an analyst and programmer by trade and have no real experience with Linux or CUPS prior to two days ago. Basically, no one else could figure this out so it was dumped on...er, I mean assigned to me. :-)