HP LaserJet 4 with PostScript Level 2 installed

al al.gosselin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:28:04 PDT 2009

I have an old HP LaserJet 4 that has the PostScript Level 2 installed.
I recently installed Ubuntu Jaunty
Setting up the printer using CUPS I selected my usual LaserJet 4 with postscript.
On printing the CUPS test page it lists the Interpreter Information as:

PostScript: Level 3
Version: 3010 (864)
Product: GPL Ghostscript
Serial #: 42

On an older system running KDE I have, on printing the CUPS test page:

Interpreter Information:

PostScript: Level 2
Version: 2011.110 (1)
Product: LaserJet 4
Serial #: 0

The Jaunty PS level 3 does not seem to work properly and I would like to
use the older interpreter that specifies PS level 2.

I am unclear on how to do this.

I did try specifying a PPD but when I print a test page - out pops the PS level 3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Al