Problem with publishing printers configured on a server

nick r npr at bottlehall.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 04:11:48 PDT 2009

Hi

I have five (network socket) printers installed on my server. All work perfectly when used from the server itself.

The cups server settings are set to enable publishing, but the printers are not being shown around the network. On the workstations, I have set it to use printers shared by other systems. No printers are being discovered.

I have tried this on Fedora Core 8 and 10 servers with the same result.

Curiously, I have a Fedora Core 10 workstation that I have added the printers to this workstation and set this cups server to publish and the printers are being published!

This applies to cups versions 1.3.9-2 and 1.3.10-5 on the server and workstations.

If I try to add printers, using the ipp protocol, it always finds the correct list of printers on the server, but sometimes lets me add the printer and sometimes fails. The detailed diagnostic output does not contain any errors or problematic conditions.

I have even copied the cupsd.conf from the workstation where it all works to the server with no difference. Firewalls are disabled on all machines.

Thanks

Nick