[cups.general] Phaser 7400DN, really need help!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Oct 15 13:02:34 PDT 2009

I am printing to a Phaser 7400DN from Jaunty x86_64. I can print, but I
cannot get the image to appear correctly on the page if I print on
anything other than US letter.

The specific problem is a document of 12" by 18" landscape. I can get
the upper left 11" wide by 8" high of the image to print, but the rest
of the page is cut off. The part that prints is centered horizontally
on the landscape sheet but printed at the top. The result is a left,
right and bottom empty margin of about 3 1/4". The image on the page is
actually 17 1/2" by 11 1/2".

I have tried all the foomatic drivers listed as choices:
	Xerox Phaser 7400DN Foomatic/PostScript [en] (recommended)
	Xerox Phaser 7400DN Foomatic/hpijs [en]
	Xerox Phaser 7400DN Foomatic/lj4dith [en]
	Xerox Phaser 7400DN Foomatic/lj4 [en]
	Xerox Phaser 7400DN Foomatic/lj4d [en]

Only the first one offers all the paper sizes that the printer is
capable of, including "custom." The others just offer US and European
standard paper and envelope sizes with no "custom" option. The hpijs
won't even RIP, the lj4dith prints only in grayscale, and the lj4
prints only from tray 2. The PPD file I am using for the first of the
drivers listed above (the only one I can find) is xr7400dn.ppd, with a
timestamp of 24 May 2005.

I have tried printing the document from Scribus (where it was created),
a PDF export from Scribus with Adobe Reader 9.1, and Okular. I have
also printed to .ps file and sent the file to the printer with lpr. The
latter was a spectacular disaster because I can't find the lpr syntax
for the page size, paper tray, and a host of other options. The .ps
file views fine on screen with Ghostscript or Okular.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Even if your suggestion doesn't work
it may trigger one of my brain cells into thinking of something that
does work.